EAA Airventure Museum

Home
Visitor Information
Museum Activities
Our Collection




The Virtual Museum
Flight Operations
Museum Education
Suport The Museum

PITCAIRN PCA-2 AUTOGIRO “Miss Champion” – NC11609

In 1923, inventor Juan de la Cierva flew the first rotary-wing aircraft in controlled flight at Madrid, Spain. Called an Autogiro, the aircraft used large unpowered rotor blades to provide lift through autorotation, much like a maple tree “helicopter” seed as it spins to the ground. Instead of falling to the ground like a seed, however, the Autogiro could keep flying because it was pulled through the air by an engine driven propeller in the front like an airplane. The spinning rotor blades, acting like the wings of an airplane, permitted very slow flight and nearly vertical landings. The Autogiro was the predecessor of the helicopter.

In 1929, aircraft designer Harold F. Pitcairn purchased the U.S. rights to copy Cierva’s invention and he started building his own autogiros in Pennsylvania. One of his first successful designs was the PCA-2 Autogiro. Only two PCA-2 Autogiros exist today – one on static display in the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan, and Steve Pitcairn’s flying “Miss Champion.” “Miss Champion” came off the line at the Pitcairn Aircraft Company in June 1931. The type was very much in the public eye, as two months earlier Amelia Earhart had flown one to an altitude record of 18,415 feet on April 8, 1931, and Pitcairn test pilot Jim Ray landed one on the White House lawn on April 22.

Knowing that Autogiros attracted attention wherever they flew, the Champion Spark Plug Company decided to buy one of the PCA-2 Autogiros and use it as a flying billboard to advertise their sparkplugs. The company bought serial number “27” and painted it dark blue with bright yellow rotor blades and wings, and then put a large “Champion” logo on the side. The aircraft immediately became known as “Miss Champion” and was put to use advertising Champion spark plugs all over the country.

Pilot Captain Lewis Yancey flew “Miss Champion” over 6,500 miles, visiting 21 states and 38 cities with the 1931 Ford National Air Tour. Everywhere the Autogiro flew it was the main attraction. In January 1932 Captain Yancey flew “Miss Champion” over 300 miles from Miami, Florida to Havana, Cuba. From there he flew across the Gulf of Mexico to Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, where he used the Autogiro to help archeologists explore Mayan ruins. The Autogiro’s slow flight and spectacular landing characteristics allowed the archeologists to make many discoveries they might never have found on the ground.

After returning to the U.S., the Champion Spark Plug Company retired “Miss Champion” at the end of 1932. Soon after she was placed on exhibit at Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry. After World War II the Museum transferred “Miss Champion” to a small museum in New Jersey. She eventually wound up in a barn gathering dust until rescued by Steve Pitcairn, Harold Pitcairn’s son, in 1982. Steve had “Miss Champion” restored to flying condition and flew her to EAA’s Oshkosh fly-in in 1986. In September 2005, “Miss Champion” joined the permanent collection of the EAA AirVenture Museum, where she is now on public display as a tribute to rotary-winged flight.

pitcairn_pca2 Table of Contents

Accredited by the American Association of Museums
  
| Home | Visitor Information | Activities | News | Collection |
Virtual Museum |
| Flight Operations | Education | Support | Store | EAA Home |


All content, logos, pictures, and videos are the property of EAA
Copyright © 2014 - Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc.
Disclaimer/Privacy Statement
If you have any comments or questions contact webmaster@eaa.org


EAA Aviation Center P.O. Box 3086 Oshkosh, WI 54903-3086
Phone: 920.426.4800